ABOUT ME and CONTACT INFO

ABOUT ME
I’m Edgardo, a Certified Public Accountant by profession and I’m a Traveler or a SightseE-Guy. I visited the following continents and countries:
Africa: Egypt
America: United States of America, Bahamas
Asia: Hong Kong, Macau, China,Vietnam, Singapore, Jordan, Israel, Palestine, United Arab Emirates
Europe: England, Jersey, Scotland, Belgium, Spain, Sweden, Vatican, Wales, Monaco, Guernsey, Greece,
Turkey, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Hungary, France, Italy, Switzerland, Portugal, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg

CONTACT ME
Email :
mybruce0520@gmail.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/egayenriquez
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/mybruce0520?ref=tn_tnmn
Linked in : uk.linkedin.com/pub/edgardo-enriquez/59/715/213/

Friday 18 January 2013

ENGLAND: My 4th Country to Travel and How to Address Homesickness


     In January 2008 I obtained my work visa from the British embassy to work in Jersey, Channel Islands. The feeling is mixed emotions; happy because my dream of working international is coming to near and sadness because I will be away from my comfort zone; family, friends, etc. During that time, I do not want to leave Philippines but because of some uncontrollable reasons I have to leave.

     My college classmates organize a leaving party to me at Trinoma QC the night before my flight on 31 January. During the day, I do some shopping, bought a Nokia mobile phone for roaming and some personal effects.

     Tip 1 – Travel Light: This is in relation to the luggage allowance of 20KG and a hand carry bag of 7KG going to Europe. There are some items that I shouldn’t bring with me; flat iron, pillows, calculator and post-it, etc. which the last 2 items are available at the office for free.
 
     My flight is 7PM, 31 January during the day I am still organizing my luggage and it was chaotic that time since some of my friends are still coming to our house to say their goodbyes. At 3PM, Nanay, Kuya Ricky and I went to the NAIA airport. That is one of the saddest moment in my life I didn’t even look at them to say goodbye to enter the airport. After checking-in, I went to the gate of my flight and I see the sunset from the windows which made me even sadder.

    There is no direct flight to Jersey, Channel Islands; the flight is Manila-Hong Kong-London –Jersey. From Manila-Hong Kong, I took a Cebu Pacific flight, I arrived in Hong Kong at 9PM, and my next flight is 12 midnight at OASIS airline for Hong Kong - London leg. I have a 3 hour stop over; I am still thinking if this is a right decision since I can feel the homesickness now. I just said to myself; “Just give it a try and let us see”. The Oasis flight going to London departed and now on its way to London Gatwick, the flight is not busy since the chair beside me is vacant. This is a 12 hour flight, my first long-haul flight I feel asleep and waking up from time to time. I arrived in London Gatwick in 1 February 6AM, winter and it’s very cold. I have to pass the immigration check and I have to catch my British Airways flight at 8:30AM. The immigration officer asked from me the documents and after showing it to him, he stamped my passport. Now, I have to get my 20KG luggage.

     After getting my luggage, I asked someone who is working there where is the connecting British Airways flight to Jersey, Channel Islands since I have a 2 hour connection, he accompanied me to this direction and to my surprise he said that he want to check my luggage and bag. He saw my pillow, office dress; socks; even my underwear and he found nothing unusual. He pointed to me the way to the check-in counter and just made it on time for my 8:30AM connecting flight.

     Tip 2 – They custom officer is looking for cigarettes and liquors. If they find something excessive of the normal, they will confiscate it and you may receive a card for first offence. Use Google to check what are allowed and not allowed to bring to your country of destination.

     I felt homesickness during my 3rd month when I first arrive until I reach nearly a year. I may say I still experience “homesickness”. The 1st month and 2nd month there is an excitement because I want to explore the new places but after that “homesickness” hits me hard.

    Tip 3 – Make yourself busy to counter homesickness; travel, dine at restaurant, shop, visit your friends, etc. It is much difficult for me since I am in Europe which during winter; homesickness and cold weather is like a nightmare. I am just lucky to survive that period and happy now staying here in England.

No comments:

Post a Comment